I don’t want people to think I’m “cheap” when it comes to giving gifts to others, but I am a firm believer in thoughtfulness more than the size of the price tag. Sometimes we get so convinced that price equals how much you care about the person (just listen to jewelry commercials!). But I don’t agree with that. I’ve been given expensive gifts that I felt like were given to me just because the giver was “supposed” to give me something. And I’ve received frugal gifts that I could tell the person put time and thought into and they meant a lot to me.
So here’s some free or very inexpensive, but thoughtful ideas for your Mom this Mother’s Day:
- Make a really nice home-made card (don’t forget to put a really nice long note in it!)
- Make a book-mark with her favorite verse, poem or saying on it
- Frame a picture of you and her
- Make a special meal for her
- Make one of her favorite goodies
- Give her a seed packet (of her favorite kind of flower)
- If you’re good at drawing or painting make some art of one of her favorite things (ie: favorite flower, scene, bird etc…)
- Make her a cross word puzzle or word search that uses words that describe her
- If you like writing, write a poem or write a story of your favorite memory of her.
- Cut a tea pot or tea cup shape out of paper and put 2 tea bags on it. Write “Tea for 2″ and have a tea time with your mom (or make an iced-tea, flavored coffee or chia tea mix)
- Send her lots of free e-cards and on each one tell her something different that you appreciate about her
- Pick some wildflowers or if you have a flower bed, cut some for her
- Give her a big hug and a kiss and tell her you love her!