This month I’m seeing how low I can get my grocery bill! Here’s a summary of my first shopping of the month and my 2 week menu plan!
Here’s how I saved at HEB:
- $2.60 by buying store brand items
- $2.83 by buying on sale items (corn, mangoes, apples, sour cream)
- $6.67 by using coupons and free items (Suave dry shampoo was a freebie I got online. Gerber snacks came free with diapers, which I needed to buy anyway for Gracia to wear when sleeping. The only bummer is I misunderstood the coupon and thought I got 3 free, apparently I only get 1 free, but didn’t feel like going back and returning the other two. TP and one loaf of bread also had in-store coupons).
Yesterday I swung by Albertsons on my way home from babysitting, since they had a pretty good deal on boneless, skinless chicken breasts, $1.79/lb.
- Saved $.56 becuase the chicken was on sale. I bought about 6 lbs.
So my total savings at HEB and Albertsons was: $12.66
I’ve spent $72.25 on food groceries this month (I technically bought these in May, but I’m counting them in my June budget). That leaves me with
$177.75 left for the rest of the month. I’m hoping to not have to go to the store for 2 weeks, except for maybe a run to Sam’s club.
As far as my non-edible groceries go, I’ve spent: $33.80 (diapers and TP). My goal is to stay under $40, which leaves me with $6.2o. That doesn’t seem like a lot left, but the biggest chunk in this category is always diapers, and I shouldn’t need to buy any more this month, since Gracia only wears them to sleep in.
Here’s what I have planned on us eating for the next 2 weeks:
Breakfasts: Oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt, smoothies, toast, eggs, fruit, banana bread
Lunches: Sandwiches, burritos, and leftovers with sides like veggies and dip, fruit, chips and salsa, granola bars, etc…
- Black beans and rice
- Black bean and rice burritos (with the leftovers from the night before)
- Chicken and rice
- Chicken strips – I might share this recipe, it’s another one of my Mommy’s! =)
- Salad topped with chicken
- Breakfast for supper (eggs, toast, potatoes, fruit)
- Chicken pasta salad
- Stir fry
- Chicken fajitas
- Salmon patties
- Grilled chicken sandwiches
- Leftovers once or twice
Side dishes for suppers:
- Whole wheat rolls (I have some in the freezer that were given to me a while back)
- Sweet potatoes
- Corn on the cob
- Chips and salsa
- Veggies and dip