Today I have another economical crock pot recipe! This was the first time I’ve ever added broccoli to my potato soup. I had some potato and broccoli soup at a restaurant the other day and loved it so much, I thought I’d try it at home!
What you’ll need:
- 6 potatoes Peel and cut them or leave the skins on, scrub and then cut. If you don’t have a potato scrubber click here to see how you can make one yourself.
- 2 celery stalks diced and feel free to cut up the leaves for the soup too.
- Quarter of an onion diced
- 2 cups of washed and cut broccoli – I used raw, but frozen would probably work fine too.
- 2 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon. This is optional but I think just a little bacon adds a lot of flavor.
- 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- Cheese for topping
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Add all the ingredients, except the evaporated milk and cheese. Put enough water in the crock to just cover the veggies. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Before serving add the evaporated milk and serve with cheese on top or mixed in.
Crock Pot Tip: “Milk products such as cream, milk, and sour cream can curdle and separate when cooked for a long period. Add them during the last 10 minutes if cooking on High, or during the last 20-30 minutes if cooking on Low.” – Mrs. J.E. Barthold and Marilyn Yoder from my Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook