Friday I sat down to calculate up all our expenses so far for the month of March and was completely shocked to find out I‘ve already spend $249.34 out of my goal of $300, and we’re only a third of the way through the month! I did remind myself though that I’ve only spent $16.13 out of my $25 goal for toiletries and that we’ve only spent $63.09 out of my $200 eating out goal. So here’s my plan…if I can keep under in both toiletries and eating out, then going over in groceries won’t be so bad (because at this point I KNOW I’m going to go over). Even though we’ll be over this month, I want to try to go over as little as possible, so we’ll be eating a lot of what we already in the fridge, freezer and pantry. To keep our groceries lower and because I’m not babysitting this week I want to do a little more scratch cooking too. I also want to say that going over isn’t the end of the world. That $300 is just a personal goal I set for myself.
I don’t have this week’s groceries total yet, because I’m shopping today, but here’s our menu plan.
Mostly From the Pantry Menu Plan
Breakfasts: Oatmeal, toast, eggs, smoothies, fruit, cream of wheat or Ezekiel 4:9 cereal (both the cream of wheat and Ezekiel cereal have been in the pantry a long time, so I want to get them eaten up).
Lunches: Sandwiches or leftovers. I’m also planning a play date this week for lunch. I think I’ll serve chicken quesadillas, chips and salsa, veggies and dip and some kind of dessert, not sure yet, maybe vinegar sugar cookies.
- Bean Burgers, oven fries and carrot raisin salad
- Beans and Rice (new recipe) and roasted cabbage
- Stretched Taco meat burritos, chips and salsa and steamed carrots
- Either chili or white chili from the freezer
- Lentil soup topped with cheese and crackers
- Salmon melts, veggies and dip and maybe deviled eggs
I also want to make:
- Peanut butter power pucks
- Whole wheat bread
- Crockpot rice pudding which we’ll have for dessert for as many meals as it lasts us. If it turns out good I’ll share the recipe.
- I might try making refried beans too.
What are you planning on eating this week?