This week I tossed slimy cilantro, old milk, sour cream and yogurt. I know the 3 dairy things could’ve been used in baking, even after they’re use-by date, but I never got around to it and they just got older and older. It seems like I’ve been tossing a lot of milk lately so I came up with a list of ways to make sure it gets used.
- Make yogurt.
- Put it in smoothies.
- Make chocolate milk (that goes faster around here).
- Put in a creamy soup.
- Mix it with fruit, yogurt, chocolate, etc… and make popsicles.
If the milk is passed its expiration date, I’ll often still use it. If it’s several days past, I’ll only use it in baking or cooking:
- Use as a buttermilk substitute by adding a little vinegar. This would be good for cornbread.
- Bake it into a bread, like banana bread.
- Make pudding (you can even use the pudding to make pudding pops)
- Make quiche
- Make cream of mushroom (or cream of whatever) soup – I want to try this!
If you missed my post yesterday (I got it posted later in the day), I answered some reader questions about living in a travel trailer.
This post is inspired by and shared at The Frugal Girl for Food Waste Friday.