First of all, I want to say, that there are more than 5 things, but for today I decided to limit it to 5. I also want to say that I didn’t really think of these things as frugal at the time, they just seemed like normal everyday activities.
- Homemade birthday cakes – I never once had a store-bought birthday cake as a kid! Mom always let us pick out any birthday meal and cake we wanted and she’d make it. I usually chose pizza and chocolate cake with peanut butter icing.
- Cooking from scratch – We didn’t eat very many prepared foods. My Mom did cookies, pancakes, soups, pizza, and many other things from scratch.
- Hanging laundry out to dry – My Mom did use a dryer sometimes, but she also hung out plenty of clothes on the clothes line!
- Reusing ziplocs – Unless they were really old and gross, or had raw meat, they were washed and re-used!
- Reading books – One of my favorite memories is us kids sitting on my parent’s bed as Mom read chapter books aloud to us. Even when we could all read ourselves, we still loved it! Plus it was a super cheap way to entertain us kids!
Happy Mother’s Day Mom!!