I feel like I haven’t been writing much lately, I guess I just need to shoot out a post! So how about a 5 Frugal Things post?
1. We bought school supplies and some clothes during our tax-free weekend! It was a super easy way to save some money.
2. You know how I’m trying to get practice canning? Now I’ve done pickles by myself twice and the other night I canned 7 jars (1/2 pint) of jalapenos. I have broken 2 jars in the 3 canning sessions I’ve done. I’m thinking I need to invest in some tongs, instead of my make-shift ladle/noodle spoon I use to get the jars out, maybe that’s why my cans are breaking.
3. While I’m learning that canning is awesome, I know freezing can be a little quicker, so I froze some jalapenos and banana peppers. I’ve never frozen raw peppers, but I’m assuming they’ll taste best cooked in something. Any great recipes for cooked banana peppers?
4. I made a double batch of chocolate zucchini bread with a ginormous zucchini, and it didn’t even use up the whole thing! I ended up with 2 large loaves of luscious bread and 1 dozen muffins, which are now in the freezer waiting for school to start so they can go in lunch boxes.
5. I’m trying to grocery shop less often, so lately I’ve been having to use “leftover wizardry” as Amy Dacyczyn would say. For example, tonight we had chili made from:
- Some chili Cameron made a long time ago that was SUPER SPICY! I put it in bags in the freezer so I could combine it with bigger pots of chili to make it a little more mild.
- A bag of frozen pinto beans.
- 1 lb. of hamburger meat
- and my last (sniff, sniff) can of tomatoes. I gave them a whirl in the blender before adding them to the chili.
It actually turned out tasting like chili!!!
What are some things you’ve done recently to spend less money?