- Bottled Water – Buying individual bottles of water is an expensive way to go. I’m all for drinking tap water unless it tastes bad and you get notices about arsenic levels in it (that’s us!). We take our water cooler jug (see picture) to an RO water station right here in our trailer park where we pay 25 cents a gallon for clean drinking water. Definitly cheaper than buying bottle water and more eco-friendly too!
- Disinfecting Wipes
- I just keep a bottle of store-bought disinfecting spray handy for when I really need it (like after handling raw chicken) and use a rag or paper towel to clean up a mess. For less germ-y messes I’m trying to use more vinegar and baking soda, since it’s cheaper and more natural.
- Soda, pop, coke…whatever you call it we only buy it on special occasions as a treat.
- Fancy schmancy coffees – I make coffee for Cameron every morning and occasionally make myself an ice-coffee. I do buy bottled ice-coffees for trips because it’s just easier than making a whole bunch, but we don’t frequent Starbucks.
- Land line phone
- We each have a cell phone, plus we have Skype on our computer, so no land line necessary.
- Cameron’s haircuts - I do get mine cut, but I’ve cut Cameron’s ever since we were engaged.
- Chicken broth - I make my own when I cook up a whole chicken and I usually have way more that I know what to do with!
- Car Payments - All the cars (and trucks and moped) we’ve ever owned we bought with cash from individuals.
- Razor blades for Cameron – He recently bought a straight razor and so we don’t need to buy expensive razor blades for him anymore, just me.
- Baby formula - We don’t spend money on this because Gracia’s almost 4, but I wanted to include it because we have never bought formula for her. Breast feeding saves sooo much money! Plus it’s healthier for both baby and mama. I breast-fed Gracia until she was a year old, since that’s when doctors say you can start on regular milk.
Come back tomorrow to see 10 things we DO spend money on!
What are some things you don’t spend money on?