We’re going to be doing to a small group Bible study every Monday night, so I thought I’d make a crock pot meal on those days to make supper time a little easier. On Tuesdays I’ll share Monday’s recipe and a crock pot tip!
We’re not vegetarians, but having a few vegetarian meals every now and then is both healthy for our bodies and our wallets! Today I’m sharing an economical, easy and yummy vegetarian recipe: Stuffed Peppers.
- 3 bell peppers – You can use whatever color you want, but I find green ones are almost always the cheapest.
- 1 1/4 cup cooked rice – I used brown, but white works fine too.
- 3/4 cup black beans – You could do it with other kinds of beans or you could even use cooked hamburger meat.
- 3/4 cup of tomato sauce – I kinda forgot to buy tomato sauce, so I looked online for substitutions, and ended up making tomato sauce by mixing tomato paste and water.
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Seasonings: I used salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, creole seasoning salt and oregano, but you could of course do whatever seasonings you like!
- Cheddar cheese to top with
Mix all the ingredients except the peppers and cheddar cheese.
Wash your peppers, cut off the tops and take the seeds out.
Now stuff your peppers with the stuffing.
Put the peppers in your crock pot and put a little water in the bottom of the crock. Cook the peppers on low for about 6 hours. Before serving sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top.
Crock Pot Tip: If your lid breaks (like mine did), you might be able to just use a lid from a regular pot. I have one that’s the same size. It doesn’t seem to seal as good as the original lid, but it works until I can get a new one. You might be able to find a used lid to replace it with. I saw a crock pot and lid that were just like mine at Goodwill and asked if I could just buy the lid, they said no, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.
If you have any crock pot tips or recipes (especially cheap and healthy ones), I’d love to hear them! Just leave a comment or email me at purposelyfrugal(at)hotmail(dot)com!