I spent $88.38 today on groceries, this is including food and 2 make-up products and paper plates. I don’t buy paper plates very often, but the kids need some to make a tambourine for the library’s summer reading program.
Here’s the saving strategies I employed:
- Coupon! Yes I actually used a coupon! We don’t get a newspaper or anything, but my parents do, so when I was visiting in NY I thumbed through it and clipped a few I thought I might use. I used a $2 off coupon to get the mascara. It’s not the brand I usually buy, but with the coupon it was cheaper than my usual brand. The sad part is I had another coupon for any Covergirl product (my usual brand) but I was just 1 day too late…it expired yesterday.
- Price-matching. I price-matched the avocados for 29 cents each!!! Can you believe it? And the strawberries for 99 cents/16 oz. They’re one of Little Dudes favorite fruits.
- Purchasing larger sizes. As you may know I like to buy my eggs in the big cases, cuz it’s cheaper per egg. I also bought a 2 pack of whole chickens since it was cheaper per pound and I can just freeze them until I’m ready to use them.
- Generic brand. That’s one of the easiest ways to cut your grocery bill!
- Sale purchase. I needed peanut butter and was pleasantly surprised that the kind I like was on sale.
- Buying food that’s almost always cheap. As you can see looking at the picture I didn’t purchase things like steaks and wine, but I did buy things like whole chickens and pasta.
Now for my menu plan…or more like my ideas of meals that I’m sure I won’t stick with exactly:
Breakfasts: Oatmeal, breakfast rice, smoothies, eggs, and toast
Lunches: leftovers, burritos, and tuna sandwiches or tuna lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps have been sounding very yummy to me lately.
- Stretched taco meat in tortillas or lettuce wraps (I told you they’ve been sounding good to me!) and chips and salsa
- Burgers and sautéed zucchini. There’s burger lettuce wraps too….but I haven’t decided if I want to try this. It just doesn’t sound as good as the tuna or taco lettuce wraps.
- Cilantro chicken pasta salad
- Salmon melts and beets. Gracia goes crazy for beets…I think it might be the color.
- Quiche and pancakes
- Chicken tortilla soup and chips and salsa
- Out to eat for Cameron’s birthday. He’s turning 31 tomorrow, but won’t be back until Saturday. After we go pick him up from the airport, I thought we’d take him out as a belated birthday meal.