Trail mix…it’s an easy and healthy snack. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated or cooked or anything like that. Depending on what exactly’s in it, it’s low in sugar and high in protein and fiber! The only problem I’ve found with trail mix is that it can be a little on the pricey side. To keep it more affordable I’ve started mixing my own. I use cheaper ingredients and can personalize it to what I like best.
Here’s a few frugal trail mix ingredients:
- Peanuts – They’re cheaper than most other nuts and a great source of protein.
- Sunflower seeds – We can get these for a good price in the bulk section of HEB.
- Raisins – I buy them at Sam’s Club. They add a great sweetness to trail mix without adding any sugar.
- Craisins – I buy these at Sam’s too. They add a nice flavor (although they do have added sugar).
- Banana chips – We’ve found these to be fairly cheap in the bulk section at HEB.
- Other dried fruits – I love dried fruits, but mostly stick to the raisins, craisins and banana chips, since they’re cheaper and just buy other fruits on occasion.
- Chocolate – Chocolate adds a nice sweetness to trail mix and makes it feel a little more luxurious. You can do candy covered chocolates or chocolate chips, but be careful if you do chips, they’ll melt if they get to hot!
- Cereal – Homemade granola or generic brand Cheerios can also help fill out a trail mix.